Saturday, April 2, 2011

And so it starts again...

For baseball fans, the world begins again every April (or March 31st, as the case may occasionally be), and for me, it was certainly that way this year. Like the seaon, I'm feeling reborn. The long winter is over and it truly is spring.

I spent a good part of yesterday listening to the radio broadcast of the Yankees/Detroit game, and even though I don’t particularly follow either team (sorry Will and John), I have to say that I was caught up in the whole emotion of the day. I cheered each team equally and just enjoyed the (imaginary) sights and (actual) sounds.

Right now, I’m listening to the opening ceremonies of the Blue Jays and it really is wonderful. I don’t care what team you follow, that first game of the season is a pretty special moment. In Toronto, because of the fact that Minnesota is in town, we have all three of the major inductees on hand: Bert Blyleven, Roberto Alomar and Pat Gillick. Now, that’s also special, isn’t it?

So what will happen this season? John’s given his rundown of the NL, and I’m assuming that he’ll next give you his rundown of the the AL (that’s a hint, Tomahawk), so I’ll just say that I always enjoy the first month of the season as each team rolls out their changed line-ups and we begin to get a feel of what they’ll be about for the next 162 games.

It would be really great to get together people who have closely followed baseball over the years, sit them down, and go through their memories of years past. Last week, I wrote about some of my “magic moments” in baseball. Will and John both responded, and I was thinking today of Will’s comment about the end of the 1960 baseball season and how Mazeroski’s home run crushed the hearts of so many Yankees fans in the last game of that year's World Series (some would say that wasn’t such a bad thing...). Wouldn’t it be interesting to hear the impressions of the start of the 1960 season from fans followed baseball closely?

So now they’re going through introducing the teams and I have to admit that I’m getting really antsy. Enough talk. Let’s play ball!

7 comments:

Rick Blechta said...

Yesterday evening only got better if you're a Jays fan. That was a pretty awesome display of what this team might be about this season: a bit of the running game (loved the double steal), their long ball game from last year, and totally dominant pitching.

Okay, so for a least one game, they look ready for the World Series. Reality may well hit as early as today's game, but last night, they looked like champions. And that's what a first game of the season can be all about.

N. J. Lindquist said...

I spent from 3 o'clock on listening to the FAN 590 coversge - some great interviews! Then watched the game on TV while listening to Jerry and Alan and Mike on the radio. Then watched the short game in half an hour or whatever it was at midnight. Good day. :0 Hopefully they'll keep doing this.

John the Tomahawk Trembath said...

Wow! What I saw yesterday was what I've waited years for. Small ball. Yes, a double steal. Full run on an easy put out and then not getting picked off. Adam Lind running on the base paths. Romeo in the grove. Best inning in years. Boy oh boy do I want more of this. We all hope for the best.

Rick Blechta said...

John...who's Romeo? Or are the Jays now drafting Shakespearean actors? And have they added trees somewhere to the playing field? Wow! I've GOT to get down there for a game.

;)

Larry Toman said...

Couldn't agree more Rick...Opening Day (deserves capitals) is always special. Besides having three inductees there with our first Blue Jay, the atmosphere was very much a throw back to the glory days of 92' and 93'. Because of our new GM (very smart guy) and our coach, we have some swagger, speed, and most definitely a renewed attitude. Drabek has some very nasty stuff - a one hitter - WOW!! Chance to bring out the brooms tomorrow.

P.S.- I have the inside scoop on John mentioning Romeo (?)He is in love with Juliet. Let's hope Ruth doesn't read this.

Rick Blechta said...

I'm going to tomorrow's game with my sons. We're really looking forward to it!

John the Tomahawk Trembath said...

I just barley remember the opening of 1960. All the kids liked the fact that the Tigers won almost all of their grapefruit games. But as so always happens the season did not pan out. But I remember some big names for that team. Storm'n Norman Cash, Rock Colavito (so many homers),Smokey Maxwell, Dick McAuliffe and of course Al Kaline. Overall not a good year for the Tigers. As Will said the only good thing was the end when the Yank's lost.