Monday, June 6, 2011

Great Baseball Quotes


I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to go chase it. Rogers Hornsby

It's hard to win a pennant, but it's harder losing one.
Chuck Tanner

I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks in batting practice. Casey Stengel

Don't forget to swing hard, in case you hit the ball. Woodie Held

Good pitching will beat good hitting any time, and vice versa.
Bob Veale

Blind people come to the park just to hear him pitch.
Reggie Jackson on Tom Seaver

When a heckler yelled to the illiterate Joe Jackson who was standing on third base, "Hey Joe, can you spell cat?" Jackson replied, "Hey big mouth, can you spell triple?"

Baseball, it is said, is only a game. True. And the Grand Canyon is only a hole in Arizona. George F. Will

There are three things in my life which I really love: God, my family, and baseball. The only problem - once baseball season starts, I change the order around a bit. Al Gallagher

Sandy's fastball was so fast, some batters would start to swing as he was on his way to the mound. Jim Murray

And the best collection of them all...

Yogi isms

  • "This is like deja vu all over again."

  • "You can observe a lot just by watching."

  • "He must have made that before he died." -- referring to a Steve McQueen movie.

  • "I want to thank you for making this day necessary." -- On Yogi Berra Appreciation Day in St. Louis in 1947.

  • Yogi was once asked what he would do if he found a million dollars?

    "I'd find the fellow who lost it, and, if he was poor, I'd return it." -- When asked what he would do if he found a million dollars.

  • "Think! How the hell are you gonna think and hit at the same time?"

  • "You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get ther

  • "If you can't imitate him, don't copy him."

  • "You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I'm not hungry enough to eat six."

  • "Baseball is 90% mental -- the other half is physical."

  • "It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."

  • "Slump? I ain't in no slump. I just ain't hitting."

  • "A nickel isn't worth a dime today."

  • "Nobody goes there anymore (referring to a New York restaurant); it's too crowded."

  • Referring to the bad sun conditions in left field at the stadium.

    • "It gets late early out there."

  • Once, Yogi's wife Carmen asked, "Yogi, you are from St. Louis, we live in New Jersey, and you played ball in New York. If you go before I do, where would you like me to have you buried?" Yogi replied, "Surprise me."

  • "I take a two hour nap, from one o'clock to four."

  • "When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

  • "Thanks, you don't look so hot yourself." – After being told he looked cool.

  • "I always thought that record would stand until it was broken."

  • "Yeah, but we're making great time!" -- In reply to "Hey Yogi, I think we're lost."

  • "If the fans don't come out to the ball park, you can't stop them."

  • "How long have you known me, Jack? And you still don't know how to spell my name." Upon receiving a check from Jack Buck made out to "bearer."

  • "I'd say he's done more than that." – When asked if first baseman Don Mattingly had exceeded expectations for the current season.

  • "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."

  • "I never blame myself when I'm not hitting. I just blame the bat, and if it keeps up, I change bats. After all, if I know it isn't my fault that I'm not hitting, how can I get mad at myself?"

  • "It ain't the heat; it's the humility."

  • "You should always go to other people's funerals; otherwise, they won't come to yours."

  • "I didn't really say everything I said."


1 comment:

Rick Blechta said...

All of them classics. Thanks, Will