Saturday, July 16, 2011

The best part of the season

I don’t know what it is about the immediate part of the season after the All-Star Game, but my interest in baseball always gets a boost. This year is no different. That’s also why Larry’s Jays mid-season report card really resonated with me.

I’ve talked about this with fans of other teams over the years, and I’ve found that this feeling isn’t confined to me. Fans of teams with a less-than-stellar-record can always see the second half of the season as a new start, a peek at the next year, as it were. For the fans of front-running teams, you hope your guys have made the most of the off days, recharged their batteries and girded their loins (how does one do that?) for the stretch run to the post-season. Either way, there's something magical about sitting in the stands on a warm summer evening watching your guys do their thing. Let's face it, major league baseball on a perfect evening with a cup of beer and some good peanuts is a pretty damn good way to spend a few hours, isn't it?

Regardless, mid-July is a time of a second start to the season. I’m reminded of this by the results of the Jay’s first game last night against the Yankees. Even with the shaky pitching of Reyes, the team looked like world-beaters. I almost attended the game and I’m really sorry that I didn’t because it was a damned exciting contest. If the Jays could do this a good part of the time, I’m sure they would see their attendance increase dramatically. Everyone (except their fans) loves when a team beats up on the Yankees.

If the Jays want to be taken seriously next season, now is the time for them to step up their game, make a statement as to where they think they’re at and even though they probably won’t make the post-season (but that kind of charge would be very interesting to watch, wouldn’t it?), they can show us what their core is made of. Actually, I think they’ve showed us that already. There have been a lot of games where they’ve hung in their when down to make a game of it when most teams would have air-mailed in the remainder of the their innings and tried again next day. That says a lot for the squad in 2011 and bodes very well for next year when they very well might be ready to make a serious run at the post-season.

So, I’m looking forward to the rest of July and early August to see how much things change over the next four or five weeks.

Enjoy the ride. I'll be in the 500 level at the Rogers Centre, somewhere to the right of home plate. Stop by. I'll front you a beer.

4 comments:

Larry Toman said...

Hi Rick, good read, thanks. The second half is always a cause for renewed hope. Cold beer and baseball is a match made in Heaven. I know at the end of my blog I said the Jays quest for the post-season remains in the future,but let's ride the 5 game winning streak and continue to beat the snoot out of the Bronx Bombers, who are on the receiving end of any bombing going on right now. What if the Rays start to falter against the Bosox, and then the Yanks go there, in a pretty foul mood and regroup. Great pitching match-up today, but as good as he's been, C.C.'s due for a loss. Enjoy the game. Cheers.

John the Tomahawk Trembath said...

I love the mid term break. Like Larry says it's a time for hope again. Well, maybe not, but still it leads the dog days and I still love it. Fewer surprises but great baseball. The Red Sox are on the ropes and the Yanks always make it interesting. I can not believe I am cheering the Rays, egad!! Jeter will go to beat more records. He just tied my favorite Al Kaline with 3007. Wow!
A cold one and peanuts and a cracker jack game. What could be better.

Rick Blechta said...

"A cold one and peanuts and a cracker jack game. What could be better?"

Beethoven's 7th with a great orchestra and conductor?

Rick Blechta said...

The Beatles reunited with all the original members?