Saturday, August 13, 2011

A little fun

I’m out of town this weekend and don’t have a lot of time to write something up. Then something good fell into my lap courtesy of a good friend and Late Innings reader, Johnson Attong. Thanks for sharing this, Johnson!

The clip is from a recent game between the Mariners (who finally won after losing heaven knows how many games in a row) and the Athletics. I’m sure you’ll look at this and think like I did, “Gee, haven’t seen something like that since Little League.”



Now, the big question is: if you were the official scorer, how would you have scored the play? The game’s scorer gave the hitter a single and two bases on a fielder’s choice. Hmmm... Is it just Johnson and me, or do you have a problem with that, too?

What do you think? How should it have been scored?

Regardless, every time I look at this, I just have to chuckle.

Here's a link to an account of the play: CLICK ME!

-=-=-=-=-=-
NOTE: The included video above seems to not work on occasion. If that happens, the link just above also includes the video clip.

2 comments:

JohnZ said...

I think it should be ruled an infield single, an error on the SS for not covering 2nd and an error on the 3rd baseman for allowing him to get to third by not covering the base. Single and 2 errors.

Rick Blechta said...

John, you can't give an error for someone not covering a bag, but those shortstop and third baseman certainly took some serious heat (and ribbing) from their teammates, I'm sure.

My feeling is a single and two bases on a fielder's choice is the correct call in this case.

Now Will is a certified umpire. I want to know what he thinks of this!